Monday, April 4, 2011

SmokerJoe Doesn't Smoke. Part 2: The Mind Games

"Mind Game: An act or series of acts of calculated psychological manipulation, especially in order to confuse or intimidate."



Once the decision was made the biggest task at hand was to convince my mind that I do not need cigarette. This was a tough task considering the number of smokers around me, who have been my partners in crime for past more than 8 years. There is this thing about partners in crime. It is not easy to let go of your partner. I could think of two reasons; one, aadat and two, it is difficult to find a new partner. Another problem with being surrounded by smokers is, you see cigarettes around you all the time and it becomes even more difficult to resist. It is too tempting. Like they say in movies, "is duniya me kadam rakhna jitna aasan hai, isse bahar nikalna utna hi mushkil."



Well; I was determined to do the mushkil part. Aasan kaam kiya to kya kiya. Besides, ek baar commitment kar di to fir main apne aap ki bhi nahi sunta, specially when the commitment is to self.



I had to play mind games with my own mind. Sounds weird? Weird it is. May be this weirdness made me succeed where many failed.

No comments: