Thursday, June 21, 2007

Watch TV: What about these ads?

I don't have any educational or professional background in marketing, but i have a brain, which works overtime. I have a disease of thinking, thinking about things those do not affect me directly, but I see them around. Since I watch TV a lot, I see that half the time ad films are shown on the screen. I have noticed somethings from these ads, some of them are brilliant and some dumb, some catch viewers attention and some fail to do so, some of them are able to market the product well and some fail to do so.

1. Rediff Mail ad (It's not big it's unlimited): What does the ad mean? Don't go into the details of what is shown on the screen, the essence of the ad is, rediffmail is providing unlimited mailbox storage.
What does unlimited mean? It means that you will no longer be shown how much percentage of storage space you have already used. Instead of adding, they have removed something and marketing the product on that basis.
What a brilliant idea? Some people might actually be falling for it.

2. Feviquick ad (Catching the fish): Well the ad must be almost 10-12 second long. Only words spoken in the ad are in tamil, which i don't understand, but i still could understand what it wanted to say.
What a brilliant way of saying how quick and effective faviquick is.

3. Ads Featuring Celebrities: There are a lot many ads featuring celebrities. Have you ever thought, why these companies are spending millions to get a celebrity in the ad. Do you think if I would use MRF tyres just because Sachin is saying so. There could be many people who would do that. But I think the idea behind taking celebrity in an adfilm is not only targeting fans of those celebrities. These celebrities are famous, known faces, they are seen on TV, Magzines, Newpapers regularly,since your product is assiciated with these celebrities, they are indirectly marketing your product. They are in a way increasing the recall value of your product. If I need to replace my bike tyres and Sachin Tendulkar comes in my mind somehow, I might go for MRF tyres. The probability of Sachin coming in my mind is more than that of MRF tyres.

4. Orbit White Ad (It does not rhyme, but it is true): Have you seen the cow ad of orbit white. The ad is different from other ads, the idea, the concept, everything is different. The ad makes sure that people notice the difference by stating in the end "It does not rhyme, but it is true". Ad film maker has explicitly mentioned that this ad is different.
What is the need to make this ad different from others? The idea is similar to putting a white spot on a black wall. You will notice it easily.

to be continued....

No comments: